Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ambulances and my evening commute

Leaving work today a little earlier than usual (Yay!) I noted as I got to the parking lot exit that Reisterstown Road was pretty backed up. That's not too unusual in the thick of rush hour but because it was still before 5, my radar kicked on. A look to the left confirmed flashing lights at the intersection where I normally turn left.
I was still a pretty fair distance away as you can see so I wasn't immediately sure if the left turn was blocked off. It can get complicated trying to predict where to go to avoid being stuck in the blocked lane and the complication is not made simpler when you're trying to take a picture at the same time. Happily the light was red for a while. The vehicle was not moving when I took the above picture, Robin! After getting a little closer I determined that there was no going left at that intersection, and that the left lane was pretty backed up as people (hope springing eternally) kept getting in the lane anyway. Being extremely lucky, the right lane was pretty empty so I nipped over there and proceeded toward the wreck lamenting to myself that the lane I was in didn't have a very good view and so was not going to get me a good picture. Reflecting, I do not believe taking the camera to work made me a more compassionate person. I tried to get a picture as I

passed the intersection but the lighting and a moving vehicle made for a big dark blob of a Firetruck and nothing else. A little further on an Ambulance (just like the one Robin hit) bulled its way through bumper to bumper traffic to trundle past in the left turn lane. The roadway on that side was actually more backed up than mine I think because all the cross traffic and tried to go through the parking lot of the Burger King to get onto Reisterstown Road. I put away my camera and then two more police cars did the same thing. I didn't get a great look but I saw enough to think the accident had been pretty cleaned up. I can't imagine what good two more cops were going to do. Maybe they were bored. In the end my commute didn't take anymore time than usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment