Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Favorite Movie


Originally posted August 29, 2006

One of my favorite ways to break the ice in a meeting whether it's a children's choir practice or a work related project team is to play the "Favorites" game. During a lull in the action, I ask everyone to name a favorite ______. The categories are endless and can be as simple as cereal or as complex as books. In addition to being a great time filler or an easy way to start a meeting, it's also a terrific way to get to know someone. There's lots of insight to be found in what kind of cereal someone likes because invariably the person will also say why they like it. That's because nothing gets to the status of a favorite without a little bit of thought and usually it gets there through a lot of thought. My favorite movie is not something I arrived at quickly. I have reached a pretty ripe old age and watched a lot of movies that never made it to favorite status. Star Wars, Star Trek, Grease, I liked them all but never gave them the ultimate thumbs up. Then one day I was visiting my older sister and her husband and "The Fifth Element" was on. Being a man, Ron didn't turn off the tv when we arrived and so inevitably when the conversation lagged we all began to watch the movie. I'm not sure how much of the beginning we had missed at that point but I can say positively that we didn't leave my sister's house without borrowing the dvd to watch again at home. The cool futuristic vibe, the clothes, the color orange everywhere, Bruce Willis, Milla Jojovich, Chris Tucker, even Gary Oldham. Every character is so intensely watchable! And the plot is interesting but easy to follow. I have my own dvd now but still if I'm channel hopping and I run across this movie I have to stop and watch the rest whether it's near the end or just started. I simply love it. Favorite tv show, hard to pick. Favorite movie: hands down. The Fifth Element.

No comments:

Post a Comment