Monday, January 12, 2009

Google Images has Life Photos

So I'm trying to attach my blog to my Facebook profile. I've half done it but I need to prove that I'm the author but everytime I try something is wrong with the either Facebook or Blogger. So while I'm dinkin' around, I decide to go google some images so I have something interesting to post. I mean this is called Judy's Bully Pulpit but it seems lately like I have no opinions, which is a little worrying. Anyway - When I get to Google Images I discover that you can now search a newly digitized Life photo archive! Doesn't that sound awesome?? So of course I search my favorite standby, Tricia Nixon. I have a scrapbook of newspaper and magazine articles about Tricia that my older sister, Karen started in the 60's and gave to me to continue when she got married (the same year as Tricia -1971). I have not added to it in a long time, obviously because Nixon hasn't been President for almost 35 years. But if I did see an article about her even today, I would clip it and add it to my scrapbook. And actually I see lots of articles online but I'm not weird enough to try to archive them yet, even if I knew how. So I do the search on Tricia and I expect to see alot of images because after all, Tricia had the last White House wedding (what was Jenna Bush thinking to pass that option up??) and there was a TON of coverage. It's hard to imagine now when the children of Presidents try so hard to stay private but Tricia (and Julie) were in the paper all the time and had lots of magazine articles written about them.
I have several Life articles:
















Time magazine covered the wedding.





She was in Rolling Stone Magazine,



and even did a White House tour which CNN replayed a few weeks back and I missed because we haven't watched CNN since the Iraq War started and they admitted to showing propaganda for Hussein just to get to keep their bureau open.






Tricia did a photo shoot for Ladies Home Journal modeling clothes the way celebrities do today. I remember pouring over these magazine spreads and then checking all the newspaper clippings to try to compare the clothes and see if she was wearing anything from the magazine shoot.



Now that I ponder it, I guess my obsession with Tricia, her clothes and her wedding prepared me for my Diana clothing obsession a few years later. I even have this paper doll book in my scrapbook twice! One torn apart and one still together. Even today when I'm at a flea market or antique mall I look for the magazine issues she was in so I can buy a copy in it's original format.
So anyway, I check out the Life archive and it's pretty good, I mean it has lots of pics but amazingly only ONE of her wedding! Frankly, just a regular google images search will net you 14 or 15 pages of images so the 6 or 7 from the Life archive weren't that impressive. Still, I'm willing to concede that I possible didn't pick a good subject. I'll check it out again, for sure.








No comments:

Post a Comment