Saturday, January 24, 2009

The State of Maryland and Snow Removal

Living as I did for many years in the state of Illinois, I've spent many long winters complaining about the rotten job the state did at snow removal. Anything under 2 inches and it seemed like they didn't even bother to get the plows out which caused the snow to pack to an unfortunate glasslike consistency. Anything over 4 inches and it seemed like they couldn't create more than one lane in each direction. And don't get me started on Parking Lots. I broke my leg in my work parking lot because as near as I could tell, no businesses in the midwest ever heard of salt.

Well let me tell you, that is not the case in Maryland. Yippee skippee, yes, they have heard of salt and they lay it out so thick on sidewalks that it's like walking on gravel or sand (a whole 'nother hazard but I don't want to seem like a complainer). Usually the parking lots are clear the day after the snow stops if not before so you don't even need to wear snow boots.
An interesting effect of this generous laydown of salt (many times before the snow even STARTS) is the discolored pavement. In the mornings you have to wonder if it's heavy frost or salt stain. It's usually the latter. I've come to the conclusion the difference in state policy is as simple as: HILLS. In Illinois there are a few hills and yes they do ice up and become tough to get up. Robin and I got stuck on one of them on the way to the Doctor after she broke her arm on ice on the sidewalk (again, not salted). But in Maryland there are ALOT of hills and the prospect of thousands of miles of impassable roads is not to be borne in a state this crowded. So just like I love not worrying about tornadoes, I love the salted Maryland roads.
I still miss Illinois, though and all my friends. Just not as much when it's snowing.



No comments:

Post a Comment